Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sweet Snacks

I have long been a sugar/chocoholic, I've alternated between hating this fact & not caring at all; at the moment I'm somewhere in between but leaning more towards leaving fake processed sugars behind. In the mean time I tried a number of GF snack brands with mixed results.

In order of best to worst here are 5 from this past week.

1. Made in Nature - Tree Ripened Plums
dMade In Nature Tree Ripened Plums
These are hands down the best thing I have ever tasted! I bought them on a whim, I wanted to have something healthy in the house to encourage me to eat, & snack, smarter & holy cow did it work. I willingly passed up chocolates & cookies & grabbed these instead. My only regret is that I ate them too quickly! Next time i get 2 bags... or maybe 10....

2. Glutino Gluten Free Dream Cookies - Chocolate Vanilla Creme
Cookies-Chocolate-Vanilla-Creme
I was so thrilled with how these tasted I had to let my roommate try 1, he was shocked they were gluten free. They might be slightly less creamy than oreo's but it's been a long time so I'm not even sure about that. Either way these are absolutely fantastic!

3. Glutino Covered Pretzels - Fudge
 
GLUTINO_PRETZEL_CHOCOLATE 
Chocolate covered pretzels are 1 of my ALL time favorites snacks & I was THRILLED with these, they taste exactly like "normal" chocolate covered pretzels. So good I would never otherwise know they were gluten free! 

I have to say that so far Glutino comes in right with Udi's for my go to gluten free brands.


4. Schar Cocoa Wafers
Cocoa Wafers
Wafers of many flavor choices are another fav snack choice of mine. I like that they are light & crispy - it somehow makes them feel... less bad for you... lol. These weren't amazing, they were ok. I'm not certain yet if I would buy them again but there's a good chance I would. The wafers were nice & crispy but the overall taste was very muted. Sill the chocolate flavor not being strong enough is my only complaint about this product & I would suggest that its worth trying for yourself.

5. Annie's Cocoa & Vanilla Bunny Cookies

I was a fan of Annie's products long before I knew what gluten was. That being said these left me feeling underwhelmed. It was only just yesterday during my continued research that understood why. These cookies are made with rice flour, which I have learned tends to give its baked goods a gritty feel. 

The cookies weren't bad. The chocolate flavor was good & the cookies were crisp. It was only the grittiness of them that turned me off.


I've tried a few other snacks of the salty or none sugary varieties but I'll leave that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment